February 10th, 1925

Dear Betty,

We have safely arrived in Mentmore Towers, England, home of Lord Covington, complete with all luggage as well as Miss Annie Anderson in tow. The house (dare I call it a mere house?) is extravagant and beautiful, and finally I really understand the extent of the title he bears. This is old money at its most classic, with extra wings and furnishings older than we are. Truly it is humbling to see what true breeding is like.

Tomorrow we alight for London. We shall search out this Gavigan fellow, visit the Penhew Foundation, and most importantly, go shopping. I've taken Annie under my wing and I will do this properly, starting by dressing her in the part. Lord Covington also remembered there is a newspaper fellow who might be of help to us and I thought I might bring some of the books we got off of Erica Carlysle to Sotherby's and have them evaluated.

As much as I enjoyed the Mauretania, it is really very lovely to be here.

Love,

Rose

PS Lord Covington has said that if you wish to mail me while we are still in England that you can send it to Mentmore Towers and his servants shall ensure that it reaches me. Look forward to hearing from you once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment