April 2nd, 1925

My darling Betty,

I am so concerned for you. On our arrival in Mumbasa, we stopped by the library, which is where I heard the terrible news of the Tri-State Tornado. I do hope it has not affected you or your family. The article was maddeningly unclear in the actual boundaries of the destruction, and I am anxious for word of your safety.

Mumbasa was quaint, if clearly of English control and influence. We were questioned by customs on our arrival, however they were polite and allowed us to continue on. The good planning of Lord Covington and his batsman have no doubt smoothed our entry here. It was a whirlwind stop, as we were to head out to Nairobi on the next train, however enough for some slight excitement.

We naturally found it necessary to visit the market and the library and various other places, and I noticed an Indian man watching us, at least three or four times. Briefly caut his eyes, but he disappeared into the crowd. Certain I saw him in front of the library and in the market. He was surprisingly well dressed for the area, bearded with a turban, which would make him a Sikh. I cannot imagine he was part of the customs department, but I do not know who else would have known we were here in Mumbasa. 

It is a mystery that will no doubt stay unresolved as we are now on a wood-burning train bound for Nairobi (which is why I had you send your telegram response there). It is a rather different experience than trains in America. I managed to get Louis to take this time to write home, although I hardly know who to address it to.

Africa appears to be more beautiful than I expected. We saw Kilamanjaro from the distance earlier this afternoon, quite arresting in its prominence. At one point Moza awoke from one of his long naps to look out the window, pawing insistently. I turned to look and would you believe there was a pride of lions walking past! I watched out the window for as long as I could see them, and Moza lost interest as I did. I do hope this will not be the only time we see such beautiful creatures. I felt quite awed by the experience as Moza curled back up onto the seat beside me.

Louis got himself on top of the train for unknown purposes, and fortunately nothing happened. I am quite relieved that I was preparing for the dining car and unaware of his movements until afterwards. I was mortified as it was, and the smell of the smoke from the engine was dreadful when he appeared. 

He came in for lunch, and became brash and boastful with everyone who passed into his orbit. I recognized his darker side, and stepped in to smooth things over, which soothed a few ruffled feathers. Things became even better once I convinced him to go change his clothes, resulting in less noxious fumes for the rest of us passengers. Honestly, Louis's manners often make me wonder that he and Searle were brought up in the same house. 

I have seen very little of Violet and Doctor Webber on this train. They are in the other compartment, with Louis, and frankly it has been a relief to have an escape from his manners. 

Mary and I spent some time working on her reading this afternoon. She actually has quite the capable mind when she applies herself. She is the second person this trip I have taught as Doctor Webber has recently taken an interest in Arabic. Teaching a language is much more difficult than merely reading, of course, but the good Doctor is much more determined. I imagine I will have him fluent in no time if he keeps up his interest. 

The light is going, but we will arrive in Nairobi later. An odd red and blue light passed-




No comments:

Post a Comment