March 22nd, 1925


Betty,

Perhaps the wine was an error last night, or more likely the brandy was the mistake. My head is less than clear this morning, but I feel obligated to denigrate myself with a tale you shall no doubt find hilarious and entertaining. 

After dinner last night, I was once again left to my own devices. Louis and Violet disappeared, and Lord Covington returned to his books, which left me with three bottles of good wine and some tall tales in books. As has become usual, my only companion was Moza and somewhere through the second bottle, I wished that he could truly keep me company. As if in answer to my desire, I stumbled across a section in Covington's translation that spoke of communicating with cats. I'm sure it was the wine that made me decide to attempt the "bind cat" spell.

This is where the brandy comes in, as I felt it necessary fortification. You'll tell me I'm being silly, but I've been so lonely lately that it somehow made sense.

I tried to remember all the things that I've seen psychics perform before communing with the spirits. I've never seen a sorcerer work, but I presumed it would not go amiss should I dress in my most flowy night gown (it's actually quite stunning, dark burgundy silk with embroidered flowers that Searle bought me for our first anniversary. He brought it back from the trip with his father to China). I also lit a few candles and dowsed the lamps for a more atmospheric feel.

With candles burning, I read out the words and followed the instructions as best I could. I expected some whoosh of the candle flame or a sound or some such, but there I was to be disappointed for nothing happened. Assuming failure, I turned to Moza and exclaimed what a silly girl I was to even think it would work.

"Maybe you just need more fish." I couldn't believe it. It just came right out of his little tiny mouth.

I tell you, I was quite taken aback. Moza has never before replied to anything and certainly not in such insolent manner, although truth be told, that shouldn't have surprised me. I asked after the lady, Neris, and what happened to the scrolls, which Moza assured me were safe. He would check to see if I could talk with Neris and suggested that the outcome might be more favourable if there were offerings of fish. Then he nipped out the window, leaving me alone once again.

I dutifully left a message for Mary to provide anchovies with the morning's breakfast, which was waiting on my waking. Had it not been for that, I might have guessed I'd dreamed the whole incident.

Moza was back from his midnight perambulations, and had the audacity to leap straight onto the breakfast table and start eating the anchovies. I asked Moza wasn't the anchovies for Neris? He gave me a baleful stare. He may even have been laughing at me.

Maybe it was just the wine, but I swear he was talking to me. I can't tell the others, they'd worry I was seeing Searle again and with the New Moon coming up they have too many things on their mind as is. I must find out what happened with Violet and Louis as well.

I will leave you with this tale for now. Do not laugh too heartily at my foolishness.

Your blushing cousin,

Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment