March 7th, 1925

Dear Betty,

I am much more myself. A good night's sleep with Violet watching over me and I felt much better. Doctor Webber makes a good strong tonic that no doubt also helped.

Cairo is poor, dreadfully so, but I am attempting to enjoy seeing it. We headed to the Street of Jackals in the Old Quarter to talk to a Faraz Nazir. He had information about the Carlylse expedition for Jackson. Unfortunately, his shop had been burnt by a "hideous demon" although the guide said it was an accident. Heavens help me if it was actually a demon. I still don't hold that these strange things are real, but there does seem to be an extraordinary amount of believers.

The beggar who I talked to indicated Najir has opened a new shop in the Khan El-Khalili, which is the old Bazaar. I love the Bazaar. It reminds me of the one in Marrakesh, with the array of colors, close buildings and hawkers. It's the kind of place you could spend hours just wandeering in. Small children ran to and fro, and I momentarily got lost in the sight. I do miss the happiness I felt on the ship, even if it was based on illusion.

The gentlemen found shops full of weaponry and seemed delighted with themselves. Violet found a beautiful hat that is most becoming on her and will keep the sun off her skin. For myself, I bought nothing. I was listless, more interested in our surroundings and the bustle of the people than the articles for sale. 

Faraz Najir's shop on the potters road is full of curios and touristy items. Much of it is tat, but as the only tourist place on this pottery row, he no doubt does quite well. The man himself was polite for the most part, however sadly disfigured. No doubt from when his shop burned. He was very reluctant to talk of his shop's demise, and would not discuss Jackson Elias or the Carlyle expedition at his shop. I persuaded him to talk with us in more private settings and he arranged for a room in a nearby mosque to speak him. Clearly the holy ground made him feel more at ease. 

Before the fire, Najir sold antiquities. He confessed to having traded in stolen goods, some of which Roger Carlyle took interest in- particularly from the time of the Black Pharoah. Nazir had artifacts, including the statue of the Black that Violet saw in Gavigan's and a crown worn by the Black Pharoah himself. Honestly, I almost wish his old shop was still open as from the sounds of things, he had a great many fascinating articles. He gave us the name of Carlyle's agent in Cairo and mentioned that there is another Penhew Foundation expedition here in Egypt.

He also told of us a group called the Brotherhood who he claims was behind the destruction of his shop. Incidentally, he claims it was done by glowing blue flame- quite like that man in the sanitarium in England claimed. Doctor Webber played along with him, indulging this fantasy of floating fires and secret societies. 

Beyond that, I found the Mosque of Sultan Hassan itself almost more interesting than the tall tale that Najir had to say. The architecture is beautiful. In truth, there are so many beautiful mosques here. We shall be visiting another tomorrow, and I feel blessed that I have been able to view this and tomorrow's mosque as traditionally foreigners, especially women, are not allowed inside.

We spent the rest of the day at a coffee house that has been open for 120 years- which they mean quite literally. They stay open day and night. I have spent most of the rest of the evening catching up on the news and my correspondence. I hope to write you in even better form soon.

Your friend,

Rose

PS- No sightings of Searle since our arrival. I am both saddened and guiltily relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment