March 2nd, 1925

Darling Betty,

We stopped in Athens today. The Acropolis was beautiful as always, but it does get so very hot at the top of that hill. The children would have wilted in the sunlight, so after a short time viewing the ruins I brought us down. I found Violet, the children and I a lovely gyro seller down an alley near the Acropolis. The children weren't hungry, but were content to play in the street as Violet and I rested while the men continued to peruse the ancient foundations.

We went on to the Temple of Zeus, which was fascinating. I do believe Lord Covington may be buying into the lunacy of the books we are reading. He appears to have been studying the area in more detail than usual and I do hope he isn't looking for something that isn't there. I'd hate to think anyone in our party wasn't entirely in control of their faculties. 

We finished Athens out with a good round of Ouzo, more for the menfolk, although Searle refrained. I remembered once I tasted it how much he despised that licorice drink and why. Dreadful stuff. I was happy to just sit with Searle and enjoy the companionship of our fellow travelers. Violet and Louis have become rather friendly again, and it would be nice to have another couple on this trip. 

Tomorrow we are on to Port Sayid. We skipped Port Sayid on our honeymoon and entered Egypt via Alexandria, so it will be nice to explore someplace new, although returning to these towns has made me feel young again, like we were childless newlyweds once again.

Will write when we reach Egypt!

Love always,

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment