March 11th, 1925

Betty,

When we arrived in Memphis today, I was quite shocked to see how heavily fortified it was. Louis insisted this was not entirely unexpected as much of North Africa is quite regularly armed. A leftover from the wars, I imagine. Nevertheless, we were let in easily enough, but sadly found that only 3 of the 5 Clive Expedition members at Memphis. No doubt I need to spell out who they are, as I have an inkling that certain embarrassments of theirs may even have made the American papers.

Even though the natives in Egypt generally seem quite poorly, the workers on this site bothered me. They were unusually sullen and silent, and everywhere I looked I could see such poverty. Its quite a disgrace. It is reminiscent of that summer we visited the Carolinas. It chills me to see such broken spirits all gathered in one place.

James Gardner, Johannes Sprecht, and Agatha Broadmoor, though, were quite genteel. The newspapers in Cairo had mentioned that the Clive Expedition had lost the body of an unknown Egyptian Queen and of course Louis asked after it. Gardner clearly thinks that Professor Clive is being too secretive and that the queen is known. He let us in on her secret identity, and I was quite surprised at her history. Seemingly, she was overthrown by the next in line and accused of heinous crimes, although I was assured by my more learned colleagues that this is entirely normal behaviour in Egyptian history.

Regardless, arrangement for removal had been arranged. Three nights later there were screams from the pyramid, and the sarcophagus, the body, and the bodies of the policemen who had been guarding it went missing. Quite the puzzle.

Agatha, who reminds me of Grandmother with her offbeat manner, was an absolute surprise. Beyond her aged appearance and scattered thoughts, she is appears quite knowledgable. I had been surprised to see someone of such advanced years in such a place, but I digress. She believes there was ancient magic involved in the disappearance, the ancient power of Nidicris, which of course Gardner counters with the entirely rational thought that there must be a hidden passageway that the thieves used.

Nevertheless, I found Agatha compelling. She and I got to talking and walking after dinner. She is a medium, it seems, and has a connection with the dead. I made an offhand remark of how my husband would have loved here and she replied with the shocking "Yes, Searle would have." I swear to you, his name had never crossed my lips before that moment. 

I have, of course, heard of mediums who can contact the dead, and I will admit that early in my bereavement I very much wished to believe that they existed and could actually do so, but I never rationally believed it possible until now. 

We went back to her tent so that she might attempt to contact him. I was concerned that he would think ill of what happened on the boat ride and asked her to find out what he knew. After entering a trance, she began to answer questions. He loves me, he knows what happens on the boat and he does not think ill of me. Truly, it was so touching. I had a very difficult time keeping my emotions under control. She also said he had a message for me:

"What you are doing, you may join him soon."

A rather disturbing pronouncement, and one I believe, especially in light of England. Clearly those who believe in this cult take it quite seriously. 

The Black Pharoah seems to be what is linking everything together- here in Memphis, in Cairo, in England. I know not whether Gavigan actually believed in it all, but I am certain that historically this is a cult of some sway.

Indeed, this missing Queen is yet another link. Apparently, if she is the one Gardner believes (which Doctor Clive would not commit to when he arrived back to camp), then she also worshipped the Black Prince and was a sorcerer of some reknown herself. 

I am becoming more and more convinced that the Sword of Bazian may be necessary in our future. Before we left Cairo, I helped Doctor Webber compose a message to the imam regarding its procurement and await, hopefully, a positive outcome. If it does not, I am considering, dare I say it, actually converting to Islam in order to wield the sword for us. Should it occur, Louis would have to teach me to use it, which I am quite sure he could manage. I more fear that I shall not be up to it. This heat is terribly draining- even worse than New York summers. 

We did, in the end get to meet Doctor Clive and his assitant, Mr Winfield. They were distant and obvious suspicious of us. Considering we had claimed to be amateur archeologists, I am unsurprised at that, although I was greatly surprised at the churlish, sneering behaviour of Mr Winfield. There is a man who I hope you never shall meet. His manner went beyond the bounds of polite society and I had the distinct impression that if he could have inflicted harm, he would have. Perhaps even for the sport of it. A dreadful personality, and one I hope does not spell ill for Agatha.

We are staying the night here in Memphis and shall see the sights before we head back tomorrow. While it is nice to see everything, I almost miss my hotel room at Shepheard's. There is comfort in the familiar.

Yours wistfully,

Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment