March 10, 1925

My dearest Betty,

We went to Giza today. The pyramids are such an amazing sight. Inside the pyramids is a strange experience. It was surprisingly hot and stuffy inside, and I found I couldn't stay there for too long. But oh so fascinating! 

We also saw the Sphynx, Abu Al Hal-the father of terror, which was still being excavated. Apparently the nose fell off some time ago, so it seems rather sad to visit, but will no doubt be a much more impressive sight once its full glory is restored through the excavation.

I managed to find us an excellent guide. He was very knowledgable, patient, and considerate for he and Dr Webber were kind enough to ensure that the heat did not entirely drain my reserves. When the full heat of the day was upon us, he took us to a local house of surprising elegance. The tea there was not as terrible as Cairo (did I mention the tea here? If you do come, you must ensure to only drink the mint tea as they do not have a decent cup anywhere) and the pastries were delightful. The pastry was a light, flaky delight of varying tastes- I believe dates and pistachios were in several.

We then climbed the pyramids. I mean on the outside of them. It was quite a trek, even with the three Arab helpers, and I did not make it quite to the top, but I got high enough to have a stunning view of the Valley of the Kings. Louis and Doctor Webber insisted and bribed the photographer from below to ascend with us and so we have fantastic photos from the bottom and close to the top. 

Returning to earth, I bought some toys for Dot's children and Louis and I sent her our regards. I know she will be thrilled to know we are thinking of her.

The day was lovely, although dreadfully tiring. 

Upon our return, I found the hotel staff had very efficiently contacted the French Embassy and found an address for William Besart who we know sourced items for the Carlyle Expedition. He is in the Red Door, Street of the Scorpions. (I love the names of places here. They all sound so very exotic and exciting!) 

I also found my new friend on my balcony upon our return. I've named him Moza (which means sock in Hindi) for his left front paw is the cleanest white. He is a beautiful tabby otherwise, and quite engaging. I'll admit to sneaking some milk up to my room for him after dinner. Normally he is on the balcony, stretching in the sunlight, but last night he chose to curl up on the corner of my bed.

Cats are quite revered here, did you know?

After a decent lie in, we headed out to meet Mr Besart. After a trial by fire getting past his landlord (I presume), we found Mr Besart sprawled on a couch. He was smoking a dreadful smelling weed, and quite groggy. Louis eventually woke him, but he was clearly under the influence of something. 

I don't believe this Frenchman is much of a thinker or from polite society, but we unfortunately needed information from him. He sourced and illegally shipped some items for Robert Carlyle directly to the Penhew Foundation. No doubt that is where Gavigan found them.

Seemingly, at Dhashur with the Carlyle Expedition, Jack Brady told Besart that Carlyle, Huston and Sir Aubrey disappeared when they entered the bent pyramid, missing for a whole night. They returned believing they had found something amazing. Besart was then approached by one of the mothers of the diggers, a woman named Nyiti. Her son, Unba, and several others who live in a township south of the pyramids had fled because Carlyle and the others had consorted with "an ancient evil" and that their souls were gone. She said he should go to the collapsed pyramid in the dark of the moon for proof. 

If he is to be believed, Besart went and witnessed Carlyle and the others performed a strange ritual there with hundreds of madmen. Besart then recited a ghastly tale of destruction and insanity. He most likely dreamt terribly and believed it. To be fair, given his proclivities, no doubt he was on some intoxicant which made him see these things. He now spends his life smoking hashish or opium trying to forget what he believes he saw. It was quite sad to witness his crumbling mind.

We returned to Shepheard's Hotel for one of their fine dinners and light conversation. Sadly, the evening was marred by a lighthearted conversation between Doctor Webber and Lord Covington. Covington was hoping to find an airplane to go south in, and after Louis exclaimed his worry after seeing Covington drive. Webber said he was more concerned having seen Covington attempt to land that one time... Which I realized was with Searle. I excused myself from dinner after that.

I realize this is getting long winded and morose, so I shall continue later.

Always,

Rose



No comments:

Post a Comment