February 23rd, 1925

Betty,

We are leaving England. I'd like to say that we have seen all we'd like to see, but it feels much more like we are sneaking away before the authorities can find us.

I don't feel like I can put it all into writing, for it might be found, but suffice it to say that Gavigan has been dealt with and there is no chance that he will be able to order our deaths again. But I get ahead of myself.

The party at Mentmore went wonderfully. It is a bit of a surprise how similar yet different the English are. The division between the old moneyed gentry and us was not as noticable as it might be, but certainly where Annie was concerned, it was clear she has some polish necessary. The guests were of course very understanding and would never think of pointing out the occaisional faux pas, but I do worry that I have left Annie's education to too short a time. 

Fortunately, Lady Covington agrees with me and has accepted Annie as her charge. She will finish off Annie's education in high society, and really, its probably best this way. Taking her to Egypt is almost out of the question. As is, our recent activities have been most decidedly unsuitable for a young woman like herself. Lord knows we aught not to have been involved, much less a girl on her own. Yes, I'm aware of your suffragette leanings, but there are still proprieties to think of.

Anyway, the fact that Lady Covington is happy to host and finish Annie's education has been a blessing. I know she'll be in good hands, and it allows myself and my companions to swiftly exit the country before the authorities put two and two together. 

Last night, or possibly this morning, Gavigan was dealt with. This much at least I feel safe in telling you. I shan't recount all the horrors we witnessed at his estate, but his departure from the world has resulted in the saving of several lives at the very least. His questionable taste in caballa was in clear display as he cavorted with a whole tribe of easy duped imbeciles who took his word as gospel. At least, I presume they haven't all been reading all the lunacy that we have collected from Gavigan and others. 

Regardless, there was a frighteningly savage ritual of some description taking place on the grounds of Gavigan's house, (which I should have recognised the name of as the Arabic word for Egypt- blast getting knowledge through intermediaries!) which involved some dreadfully gauche selections of costumes and drums. There were 4 among the host who I believe had no idea what was going on. They had been taken from the Blue Pyramid (and thank heaven we weren't the ones taken so!) and driven out to Gavigan's estates. Clearly they were thinking the party would continue there, for they walked along happily before one of the robed and cowled amateurs bound them to a stone plinth. 

Drums were played and lewd women danced until it almost appeared that the shadows were other than what they seemed. No doubt they were burning incence or some other hallucinogen in the bonfires and torches that lit the area. It appeared to unnerve my companions who took it upon themselves to try to rescue the chained revelers. 

Dastardly as he was, Gavigan and his compatriots called out to "Proceed with the sacrifices" which it soon became apparant was the cruel injuring and killing of the poor bound souls. My companions redoubled their efforts, but I had seen enough and ran to ring the constabulary. 

We left quickly, after Doctor Webber assured us that the innocents would not die from their injuries,  and returned to Mentmore. It was very early Monday morning by then and I slept hard. I awoke early this afternoon, finding my companions in various states of sleepiness, but we were of one mind on the matter. After that night's escapades, knowing the London police were looking for a group of Americans, making ourselves scarce seemed the prudent option. 

We leave for Egypt tomorrow, so this shall be my last letter from England. Lady Covington has promised to send on correspondence that arrives for me so fear not, your letters will arrive eventually! I miss hearing of your escapades. You may continue to write via Mentmore, or else we shall be staying at the Shepheard's Hotel in Cairo once we arrive. I do not know how long we shall be there, but we will be heading to Nairobi afterwards, where it will no doubt be very difficult to get regular post.

Take care of yourself and if you are saying prayers, be sure to keep us in your thoughts. 

Love, 

Rose




No comments:

Post a Comment