February 3rd, 1925

My dear Betty,

I apologise for not writing sooner, but all of a sudden everything has become a whirl. We are sailing away for Europe tomorrow on the Mauretania. Myself, Violet, Louis, Lord Covington, and Dr Webber will be travelling first to London to seek news of this Gavigan and meet with the Penhew Foundation, and then on to the continent and Africa in search of answers.

As you can imagine, getting everything ready for our departure has been quite challenging in the short space of time we have. The staff were very helpful, especially when Louis informed them he'd be keeping them on in our absence, in closing the house and making ready for our departure. I do believe they loved Mr and Mrs Vanderbilt in their own way and are delighted we are looking into things. 

Mary is coming with me. It would seem prudent to keep her from gossiping but beyond that the girl is quite reliable. Her skill in doing one's hair really is lovely.

Violet and I naturally had to go shopping as I no longer owned good travelling attire. Dr Webber sent his secretary, a sharp young woman, with us and I do believe she will be joining us on the voyage. We successfully bought all we sought, although a good parasol that would fit both the climates of wintry England and the airy Africa seemed beyond the New York scene, so I had to settle for both.

We are fully packed now, just turning the lamps down for the evening. It was difficult to get both of paled in the time allotted, but Louis insists on the next boat out. For some reason Louis insisted on bringing his Father's shuffleboard stick. Perhaps he's being sentimental after all?

The house seems strange and quiet with the furniture all covered and the windows shuttered. All my tasks are done and I write this with the distinct impression I should be doing something, but for the life of me I can't think what. I am excited about once more travelling as you know it really feels my element. I may fit in to High Society, but I am an International traveller at heart.

I plan to spend the evening reading a book we finally located called the Dark Sects of Africa. I doubt you would enjoy it, but it has illuminated some of the goings on lately. It seems a cult related to that in this book was behind the murders and while I dread facing anyone would worship in such heathen fashions, I cannot help but be curious as to what we shall find.

To date we know the symbol carved on the heads of the Vanderbilts and Jackson Elias, which I won't detail as its rather crude, is connected to one of the cults in the book, the Bloody Tongues. I suspect some of the negroes from Africa brought their customs to New York and our family got caught in their insanity.

I suppose I should mention that the book was actually stolen from the Harvard library. I doubt they are missing it, and I will return in when I have finished reading it, but it does give the whole affair a certain ambiance that is exhilarating. 

Despite the recent tragedy and scandals, I am looking forward to this trip immensely. I haven't had much cause to travel since Searle passed and I have missed it. 

I will keep you updated as we go, but I hope to be having such a good time that it may be infrequent. 

Wish us safe journey!

Love,

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment