January 1st, 1925

Dear Betty,

I hope you had an elegant, wonderful evening to ring in the New Year as we did. The culmination of all the work I put in with Mother was just lovely. Everybody seemed to have a good time, the punch was tastey, and I'm glad to say there wasn't anything worth printing in the evening rag.

James (Searle's youngest cousin from the other side of the family- the side with that unfortunate hair lick) had the misfortune to bring along some surly looking fellows, but I believe Lou and my dear Lord Covington dealt with them quietly. Thank heavens. I cannot imagine the embarrassment I would have had to deal with had anything untoward occurred. Its bad enough I mistakenly sat the Martins with the Nightengales. I'm quire sure when she rises that Mother will let me know all about it.

Lou and Violet danced together. It almost breaks your heart to see the two of them, remembering how happy they were together. Do you remember it? I had thought for sure I'd have to cut my honeymoon short to come attend their wedding.

But their meeting seemed to go well, despite the awkwardness and bad manners Lou had displayed a few weeks ago when he walked in on our normal tea chat. He seems quite taken aback at how things have turned out for Violet, but really, what does he expect, running off on her like that?

You must come to New York if we hold another party. I know you'd enjoy it, and I so would like to see you again.

Wishing you all the best for this bright New Year,

Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment